Sunday, March 1, 2009

Chapter 5

This weekend we read chapter five. As this is my first blog, i feel like talking about two parts of the story that really made me read, blink, reread and think over. The first was a little culture shock that he mentioned. like the fact that his landlady may not have given birth but has fathered four children makes me aware yet again that they are aliens to me. In my mind i sorta just have the mind set that they are just almost like humans,until they throw something like that at me again.

what i really like in the story was the last page. Faxe was talking about how "the unforetold, the unproven, that is what life is based on. ignorance is the ground of thought. unproof is the ground of action." This really made me think about how our lives are really based on the unknown. Its what makes the world go around. If you think about it, if we knew everything that was to happen in our lives we wouldn't have a purpose. like for example, if we knew that we were gonna die in 5 days, we would only think of the remaining five days as one day closer to dying. where else if we didn't know, then we could live the rest of those days with less stress. If we knew everything then we wouldn't have to make new inventions or study or go to school. it makes me think life would be all together more boring if we knew everything. It also brings me back to the story of bead women. The two similar themes were: everyone wishes to know everything but what would happen if you knew everything?

Overall though, i like how the journey is described from a traveler's point of view. i like it because a traveler would be more aware of surroundings then compared to a person born in that country.

No comments:

Post a Comment