Thursday, March 19, 2009

one paragraph homework.

When Ms. Aaland told us to write a story in ten minuets i was more worried about finishing a interesting story then paying attention to pronoun use. But i think the short amount of time was to force us into using the first gender that pops in our head for our characters. I noticed that i was very stereotypical. i found that interesting because I'm always the one to point out sexism or stereotyping mainly because its just there. I believe that women and men should be equal because whatever academic achievement there is, a women can always match a mans. After writing my story though, i found myself giving the more challenging and higher paying jobs to a male roll. It was not intentional but was there either way. Even though our generation is more equal, the work world shows us more men having higher jobs, so that effected my mind set. The data we collected in class and the years before gave us a very clear picture of how men still dominated. Mainly, this activity made me more aware of my pronoun use.

2 comments:

  1. Maybo, one point is that the homework was one PAGE, not a paragraph. But you are correct--I wanted to see what came up unintentionally in your writing. It's very likely I would have had a similar experience of assigning stereotypically "male" jobs to men or "female" jobs to women; the point of this is not that we consciously have these biases, but that they are ingrained within us deeply even if we actively denounce and work against them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea i found out about the one page the page was due in class -__- my bad sorry

    ReplyDelete